• Maibort Petit

Destruction of energy

Updated: Aug 22, 2021

Learn how the regime of Nicolás Maduro turns the inefficiency and destruction of the national electricity system into an act of political sabotage

Two middle Corpoelec officials became the scapegoats on whom they tried to blame for events that are only a demonstration of the ruin in which Venezuela is mired. By Maibort Petit Some media reported on March 8, 2021, the act of reopening —occurred the previous day— of the Oncological "Dr. Humberto Fernández Morán" that works in the General Hospital of the South of the city of Maracaibo, Zulia state[1]. This event, as well as the rehabilitation of the operating rooms of the Oncological Hospital of San Cristóbal, Táchira state, was to be announced during a transmission of the working day of the Presidential Commission for the Control and Prevention of COVID-19 that took place on Sunday, March 7 of this year. The governor of the entity, Omar Prieto, linked through a television broadcast with the president of the republic, Nicolás Maduro, to inform the country of the efforts made by the revolutionary government in favor of the health of Venezuelans, despite the sanctions and the economic blockade imposed by the United States.

However, the transmission was not carried out according to plan due to an electrical failure that occurred at the time when Nicolás Maduro was addressing the community, which prevented him from flaunting his management in favor of the health sector. Of the blackout there is no review in the local media and the regional president was shown in account in the social network Twitter only a part of the event[2].

Where the event was recorded as an indelible memory and in the credit of two average Corpoelec officials, who became, by the work and grace of the Bolivarian National Intelligence Service (SEBIN) and the General Directorate of Military Counterintelligence (DGCIM), the architects of an alleged act of sabotage for which they were held hostage until the afternoon of 8 March when they had to be released without charge.

The reason? The blackout was not due to any act of sabotage, but to an internal failure in a tanquilla of the General Hospital of the South, as corroborated by the technicians who the next morning made a tour of the circuit where the medical assistance center is located. Despite this information, Corpoelec officials were held incommunicado, held incommunicado, and subjected to severe psychological pressure until late Monday afternoon, according to sources inside Corpoelec Caracas.

Neither SEBIN nor DGCIM bothered to review the long history of electrical failures exhibited by the HGS, one of which occurred just under a month before the reopening of the oncology, namely on February 19, 2021, when from 2 a.m. it was left in the dark affecting patient care[3].

The facts

The power failure occurred at 6:21 p.m. on Sunday, March 7, 2021, when the television link between Mauro and Prieto was taking place.

From that moment the alarms were lit in Corpoelec, more than by the affectation of the marabina community of the sector and of the patients, by the political repercussion that had the fact that the inefficiency and ineffectiveness of the government of President Maduro was in evidence regarding what has been the electricity management. The mobilization of the technicians was total, with all eyes on the dispatch operator, who is the one who remains vigilant of the system, corresponding to him, by power that the company confers on him in his charge, the power to open or close the switch of some substation, of some circuit and suspend or recover the electrical service, if necessary. In this case that didn't happen because the circuit failed.

Another official whom they targeted was the person in charge of the cargo administration who is, in short, in charge of electricity rationing, according to the same internal caraca source.

This task is carried out, as we learned, jointly between the national office and the regional office, informing the first to the transmission supervisor, in this case from Zulia, who is the person who is in charge and watchdog of the system as far as transmission is concerned, monitoring the lines, the cargo flows that come from the Guri and the premises.

When the regional transmission supervisor receives the information, it turns the instruction over to the distribution dispatch operator.

During the blackout of March 7, the aforementioned operator of the distribution office contacted the load manager to inform him that he had taken out a certain amount of megawatts and the second proceeds to review which are of the circuits that he had, since they are already pre-established by blocks. By telephone he indicated the circuits and proceeded to execute the orders that the national office had given him.

And it was at that moment that the mishap occurred that disrupted everything, because the circuits indicated by the load manager could not be opened, since the Arriaga substation that feeds the circuit of the General Hospital of the South, is without remote for several months. It should be explained that the remote is a system that allows to operate remotely the substations from the Caujarito operations center.

The load manager is limited to the aforementioned monitoring work and to record in an Excel table the rationing times in the circuits, so that they do not exceed four hours, the maximum time that the electrical restrictions in each circuit are supposed to last. This officer does not interact with the system under any circumstances.

The HGS circuit powered by the Arriaga substation failed at 6:21 p.m. on March 7, 2021, as we referred to at the beginning, and the load manager contacted his superior to report the novelty and the latter told him that there had been no error, voluntary or unintentional, and that the protocol had been acted upon.

It should be noted that when you are in the presence of an event of this nature and, as in this case, the remote substation does not work, you must proceed to "open the blades" in the respective circuit, corresponding to the General Hospital of the South are attended by the central of the municipality San Francisco, who had to operate to transfer the load.

When the personnel of the San Francisco plant arrived at the site, another mishap occurred that prevented the correct performance of the technicians: they did not have the pole, a tool that allows to manipulate the blades from the ground, so they had to wait to be helped.

When this type of setback occurs, a contingency plan has been implemented that contemplates that an inspector, supervisor or a unit with support team, come to the aid so that the recovery of the service occurs. This circumstance is the cause of the delays, this being what happened in the case of the HGS.

Investigations and kidnapping

At the Caujarito Operations Center, sebin officials met around 8 a.m., and proceeded to question the cargo manager, although he warned them that he was not the official responsible, but they insisted and the official provided the information that we have reported in previous lines.

The cargo manager told SEBIN that he had been instructed early in the hours that rationing should take place in the hospital circuit due to the political act of reopening that will take place in the afternoon. They then proceeded to question the distribution operator and once the interview was over they left the scene.

Later, about two hours later, a DGCIM commission arrived at the Caujarito Operations Center and requested the cargo manager, who, under further interrogation, repeated the story we have already told. Then they did the same with the distribution operator who even carried out a simulation in front of them, that is, a maneuver that shows that the Arriaga substation lacked remote, which led to the events in question.

Before the DGCIM officials it was perfectly established that when the systems are manipulated, the identity of the author is recorded, so this was a demonstration of the lack of responsibility of these Corpoelec officials in the electrical failures of the HGS.

Despite this, the DGCIM proceeded to take with them the cargo manager and the distribution operator, who at this time became the scapegoats who had to pay for the events that exposed Nicolás Maduro and Omar Prieto.

Since then, the pressure on Corpoelec officials has increased, and at 4 a.m. on 8 March they were reviewed and made to sign the admission of the facts.

They were being singled out from that moment on, as the saboteurs of the political act of Nicolás Maduro and Omar Prieto. The explanations repeated over and over again by Corpoelec officials were worthless.

At 9 a.m., they were taken to the Military Hospital in handcuffs for a medical check-up that was never carried out and that only served to subject Corpoelec officials to public derision.

On their way back to the DGCIM headquarters, they had to remain locked up and held incommunicado until 3 p.m. when they were photographed to file a file.

Two commissioners named Álvarez and Sánchez, the same ones who interrogated, pressured and coerced them throughout the day, showed up at almost 5 pm and informed them that the case had been resigned and that they could go home. They made the unacceptable excuse that they were only doing their job and obeying orders.

Once again, the modus operandi of a regime that violates human rights, the constitution and the laws was exposed.

[1] Diario República. "Governor Prieto delivered the oncological 'Dr. Humberto Fernández Morán' completely rehabilitated." March 8, 2021. https://www.diariorepublica.com/regionales/gobernador-prieto-entrego-totalmente-rehabilitado-el-oncologico-dr-humberto-fernandez-moran

[2] Twitter. Omar Prieto, Governor! @OmarPrietoGob. https://twitter.com/OmarPrietoGob/status/1368712715221561350

[3] A Point Online. "They report electrical failure at the Southern General Hospital." February 19, 2021. https://apuntoenlinea.net/2021/02/19/reportan-falla-electrica-en-el-hospital-general-del-sur/?doing_wp_cron=1616188101.6153900623321533203125

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All